Can a noncustodial parent claim a child?

The qualifying noncustodial parent may claim the dependency exemption, as per the agreement, but must obtain the custodial parent’s signature on Form 8332 indicating that the custodial parent is releasing the right to claim the child. Reliance on the agreement without the signed form may result in a denial of the deduction and the related child tax credit.

Posted in: Child Related Credits & Deductions